Lunes, Enero 26, 2015

Decluttering Your Desk in 5 Easy Steps

I'm not a naturally organized person. I have my moods. Sometimes I couldn't care less about being organized that I mindlessly put my things within arm's length (too lazy to think and move) and this is why my desk is usually a mess. I've got folders, paper, and cups everywhere. But I'm the type who can work (most of the time) on a cluttered desk. It may be messy but I never lose anything and I always know where I'd find what I need - on my desk... somewhere! Sometimes though I get really inspired to organize my stuff. Thank God for these times or else my desk would look like a jungle. I get inspired to do a major clean up operation on my desk at least once a year. This is enough for me to reset my desk and have a fresh start.

So how do I organize a desk with 1 year's worth of clutter? Here's what I do:
  1.  Prep 3 containers. Label each "Throw Away", "Keep", "Put Back"
    • I use plastic bags, boxes, or whatever is available.
    • Done in less than 5 minutes.
  2. Empty desk. Take items off the desk one at a time. Put each item in one of the 3 containers.
    • Time spent on this step depends on how much I have on my desk.
    • I Decide beforehand what I'll throw away, keep, and put back to make the process easier and faster.
    • Done in 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  3. Label "Keep" container with "From My Desk" and store.
    • I like having all stuff from my desk in just one container so that I'll know where to find them in case I need them.
    • Done in less than 5 minutes.
  4. Sketch or visualize the new layout of my desk.
    • I don't use up too much time deciding on my new layout. I just divide my desk into sections. I can always re-order my sections after I'm done decluttering.
    • Done in 5 minutes.
    • I always divide my desk into 4 sections:
      • Tools: pens, scissors, stapler, puncher, pins
      • Paper: notepads, scratch papers, notebook
      • Files: paper files that I need to be within reach while working like logs and record
      • Work space: an empty space where I do my stuff (writing, doodling, crafts, etc)
  5. Put the items back according to new layout.
    • If I stick to my new layout, this process only takes less than an hour.
    • Done in 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Total Time Spent: 2 hours and 15 minutes
 

I'm also the type who can't sit for more than 1 hour just doing one thing. So I rest every 30 minutes. I prep my containers and start emptying my desk. If I feel like resting while emptying my desk, I step away from my desk do some stretches and play a game on my ipad for around 10 minutes then I go back to my task.

If you're just like me, give this process a try. See if it works for you.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento